Thursday 30 April 2009

Aesthetic

What's my aesthetic?

That is a very difficult question for me to answer. I find that many different types of art appeal to me, however, they do have something in common. I find that I enjoy art that I can connect to emotionally, I also enjoy art that represents something, that conveys a message. The message does not need to be clearly conveyed, but to have some type of purpose to the artwork is what needs to be there for me. If there is a message as well as an emotional connection to a piece of art, in my consideration, it makes it great art.

In the Turner/Rothko Exhibit, I enjoyed Turner's work better than Rothko's. I found that Turner's watercolor pieces had some similarities to Rothko. However, I found that even in what seemed to be a very abstract watercolor painting by Turner, you could still make out what he wanted to portray. I did not particularly care for Rothko's work. I sat in the Rothko room, and examined his paintings, I understood what he wanted to portray but I found his pieces were interesting but not captivating, they did not draw me in. There was no depth in any way in his paintings. In many of Turner's pieces, they reminded me of photographs, in the way that he framed the images. I enjoyed most of his pieces because you can see the detail and depth of the artwork, I also enjoyed the several pieces in which he painted the lighting into the piece, such as the one to the left. I found that if you compared his oil paintings to his watercolors, you wouldn't think they were done by the same artist. How I saw it was that his watercolor paintings were a completely different style than his oils.

1 comment: