Sunday 12 April 2009

Saatchi & Tate

For class I went to the Saatchi Gallery and the Tate Modern, both of which displayed contemporary art. I really enjoyed going to both, the Saatchi had feminist art from Middle Eastern view. The Tate Modern had many different types of contemporary art and massive gallaries, I will definitely need to return to view everything. Here are some pieces that I found most interesting.

Saatchi

Untitled (2008) by Ahmad Morshedloo

This painting had three fully robed women along with three leisurely dressed men. The women contrast with the light colored men and background in their black robes. I really appreciated the message that this painting portrayed, and how it was portrayed. What I took from the contrasting figures is that it emphasized the barrier and inequality between men and women. The women are fully robed where the men wear whatever they please. Off to the side of the painting there hangs a chain which I interpreted as a symbol of oppression.

The Deer (2004) by Michal Cole

This piece was very interesting. As I walked through the gallery, this piece made me stop and stare. It shows a woman wearing a leather deer mask. When looking at the piece, I didn’t know what to think, I mainly wondered why the artist chose to have the woman wear a deer mask. After reading about it, I liked it even more. This piece is one in a series that portray a personal interpretation of the women. The artist shot the photos in the women’s home in the clothing of their choice. The mask is their inner animal. I liked this aspect the best because the mask becomes a tool which allows the women to explore more about themselves.

Like Everyday Series (2000-2001) by Shadi Ghadirian

I found this series very clever and humorous. I really liked the way she portrayed the stereotypical role of women in society. She makes it very clear that women are objectified and are seen as household objects. These pieces show that women have been reduced to cooks and cleaners with the use of a cleaver, strainer, broom, cheese grater, iron, pan, and kitchen glove.


Tate Modern

The Unilever Series by Dominique Gonzalez-Foerster

I really enjoyed this series. I liked every aspect of this series, especially how she had it set fifty years in the future and had the science fiction theme. It allows you to interpret everything as you want to see it. When looking at the red piece in the series, Flamingo, I found that what you see is not always what you get. As well as, things are what you make them. I would say that that piece was my favorite of the series. I also liked looking at the books on the beds realizing that I have read several of them, including, but not limited to, The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula Le Guin.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job! Great template. Excellent titles. Good overall look!

    ReplyDelete