Thursday 23 April 2009

Aesthetics Dinner at Tas

This Tuesday, for class, I had dinner at TAS, a Turkish restaurant in Bloomsbury Square. This was the first time I have ever had Turkish food. When walking through the doors to the restaurant the first thing that I noticed was the decor. It was simple, clean and white. I really enjoyed the simplicity along with the calm soft music playing.
I really enjoyed all the different starters that they provided. The starters consisted of Humus, Zeytin Yagli Patlican (aubergine, tomatoes, garlic, peppers and chickpeas cooked in olive oil), Tabule (chopped parsley salad with tomatoes, onions, cracked wheat, olive oil and lemon juice), Manca (spinach with fresh yogurt served with garlic), Zeytin Yagli Bakla (fresh broad beans, coriander, red & green peppers, dill, garlic, olive oil served with yogurt), Sebzeli Kofte (ground chickpeas and broad beans tossed in spices, deep fried and served with tahini sauce), and Borek (filo pastry filled with feta cheese and spinach). They were nicely displayed as well as quite tasty. I liked the humus the best. The Manca starter surprised me because it had a mint taste, but it was good. For the main course, there were several choices, Karides Guvech, Kalamari, Turlu, Ispanakli Patates, Karisik Izgara, Mousakka, Tavuk Sis, Eksili Kofte, and Tavuk Guvech. I chose the Karides Guvech which was prawns cooked with garlic, tomatoes and mushroom. It was delicious, I ate it with white rice which balanced the sour, tart taste of the sauce. Along with the food we had a choice of the house wines, thanks to Dr. Manley. I'm not a big fan of wine in general, but it was nice to try and the white and red wine weren't that bad.
Overall I enjoyed the food, however I wasn't too thrilled with the waiter for our table. In general, it's not good for a waiter to reach across someone's face to place things on the table or to rearrange place settings, and this occurred throughout the dinner. I didn't order sleeve with my dinner. Despite the waiter, I enjoyed my dinner at Tas, the food was delicious.

1 comment:

  1. Very fair and balanced review with great pictures. Sorry about the "sleeve"! Best, JM

    ReplyDelete