Sunday 17 May 2009

Romeo & Juliet at the Globe

Romeo and Juliet is most commonly known as one of William Shakespeare's great tragedies, who knew it could be a comedy as well. I have seen several different versions of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, and the production at the Globe Theatre was once again a new take on the classic. Most often when seeing Romeo and Juliet productions, it is very dramatic and much more serious. The production at the Globe was much different, it was much happier. All the scenes had a lighter tone, even the death scenes did not feel as depressing. Shakespeare's structure of Romeo and Juliet included switching between comedy and tragedy, most productions have a very tragic focus, whereas the production at the Globe emphasized much of the comedy. It wasn't what I was expecting when I went to see Romeo and Juliet. I went to the Globe Theatre thinking I would be standing and watching a very serious rendition of the play. Surprisingly, I liked this happier version of Romeo and Juliet. I really enjoyed the performers emphasis in the comic relief, those who played Mercutio and Benvolio were great. In the end, however, I found Juliet to be a bit annoying, and Romeo was very expressive. Overall, I found that the play was really well done.

6 comments:

  1. Great photos! The pictures brought me back to the Global Theatre.
    I felt the same way about Juliet.
    - Pauline Truong

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the photos alot! This means that we were there with all of the original cast, exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like the comic parts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto on the photos. How did you do it? Say more about "annoying". Is she just miscast?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fully agree, Juliet was annoying. A bit too whiney.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well put and great photos as well.

    ReplyDelete